Today’s holidays: Fast of Ṭeveth (Judaism), Fourth Sunday of Advent (Roman Catholicism), Saturnalia and Larentalia (Roman religion), Feast Day of St. John Belushi (Church of the SubGenius), HumanLight (Secular Humanism).
1) Today is the Fast of Ṭeveth, which commemorates the siege on Yerushalayim. More information can be found in “Asara B'Tevet” and “Fast of 10th of Tevet Marks Siege of Jerusalem”. Needless to say, because of the fast, I am not particularly active today and will not wax poetic on anything.
2) Friday was supposed to be the end of the World according to various New Agers and a Christian sect known as “Almighty God”. Also needless to say, these people were wrong. The articles on the “Mayan apocalypse” did not stop, so today you get a followup.
- “'Mayan day of apocalypse' arrives”
- “Celebrations in Mexico as world survives Maya "end of days"”: Not everyone who believed that Friday was something special thought it was the end of the World.
- “Denver sirens are just a test, not doomsday signal”: Your humble blogger cannot make this up.
- “End of an era: Mayan 'apocalypse' today”
- “Hot spots draw believers, but not doomsday”
Peace and have an easy fast.